Wednesday, July 17, 2013

In The Hall of Chancellor Peacock

Appalachian State is more than a college. It's an experience.

It's APPA-LAH-CHEN, not APPA-LAY-CHIN.

Granted, yes, this does sound a little weird, but hear me out. App State, my college, situated in scenic Boone, North Carolina, has been good to me (for reasons I will never understand), but it has also tested me in ways I never thought I'd be tested. I don't mean in the classroom; I mean in the four inches of snow and ice that stand between you and that test you need to take to make the grade. I mean the random downpours that you can't wait to end so you can drive to the mall. I mean the slopes that crave your calves into muscles Schwarzenegger would be envious of.

"Verdammt, son. So, you DO lift..."

All that, set against the backdrop of mountains, rivers, and people who are almost Mayberry-esque in terms of kindness and enthusiasm in helping a stranger out. Sure, the weather may bog you down, or dampen your spirits, but the mountain is just another test to pass, and the finals come in winter.
Welcome to Boone, Neddy.
And you know what?

It's worth it. Every damn day, it's worth it. I go to the best college in the world, not just because I found my calling here, but because I found me here.

And that's why App State rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment